Knowing what's what!
As you can see from our many Low cost refurbished systems, choices and options are available...
- Desktop / Towers? are the preferred option for most Offices / Admin and will prove more durable than laptops, Tablets or iPads. Preference will depend on available office space. Towers can go under desks and desktops which vary in size can be on your desk...
- Workstations? are in-between a PC and server. Say you have 2 to 6 computers running in an office, a workstation can operate as a mini server. Providing low cost options for shared printing, files and backing up.
- Servers? when things get bigger and complex, providing options but primarily sharing files and printing, though at the higher end can include emails and so forth. Volunteers needed if possible with skills to maintain your equipment is paramount for long running.
- Laptops? are convenient and portable. However generally are not robust, easily damaged, repair costs can be significant. Batteries remain an issue with most users, given continued mains usage. Cheap is not always best, differences do exist in quality, construction and ability.
- Apple Mac or PC?. Apple systems and Windows computer systems use totally different ways of working. Both are good, Apple products and software pricey, less versatile and cannot run Windows programmes and vice versa. Commercially Apple Macs are recommended for Design, Audio / Video and high output work.
Computers for Charities is here to help, as a registered charity, profit is not our aim. Our advice is free and impartial; we are not here to sell. So beware and if seeking quotes, get several whilst also asking for educational discounts.
Computer specifications can be confusing, hence be sure of what you need your computer to do. If it is just basic office work and emails... Keep it simple
- Hard drive - Device for storing your data. If storing pictures, video or music. External or bigger devices are recommended
- Memory / Ram - Device for handling all the processing when your computer is running on. Crucial and can be upgraded
- Processor - Device for managing all the different information running through your computer. If you work with lots of different programmes running, downloading, etc.
- Backing up - We all mean to do this, but rarely happens. Various options are available from backup drives to memory sticks.
- Operating system - Is what enables the computer to run. Windows, Mac OS Systems X, Ubuntu, Linux are different operating systems
- Antivirus - A must with Windows & Mac run computers, make sure it's updated and you scan your computer at least once a month. Internet, emails and people bringing in their own memory sticks are common Virus causes
Potential Problems and When things go wrong:
There is a lot more to take into account with any Office or IT setup; Printers, Broadband Routers, Cabling, Wireless and so forth. It all needs to be compatible, and up to date. Otherwise problems can occur.
Laptops standly are supplied with Wireless (WiFi) connectivity & Apple Macs. However PC Desktops / Towers, Servers do not!
Blue screening, slow running equipment and other issues are symptoms of things going wrong. But can often be restored and we can help.
Support Packages: CfC provides Low Cost computer maintenance & support packages too Organisations, ensuring your equipment keeps up & running
Repairs: Drop off or send in your failing equipment which our volunteers will happily check over for free...
Enquires & ordering: Contact Vanessa at Sales via this email LINK or call T: 01323 848588 (Discounts available for 10+ systems)
Delivery & Shipment: Our prices exclude delivery. Delivery can be provided across the UK and also Overseas shipments (information available on request as above)
(We would love to do it all for free; sadly this is just not possible. Our work is mainly unfunded, Wages are not paid, and all proceeds raised, aid support to other organisations locally and worldwide)
Please Note: All sales and commercial transactions are undertaken by Recycling for Charities Trading Ltd. Registered trading arm of Computers for Charities (Charity No:1107802) & Recycling for Charities (Charity No:1109109). Company No: 5555340 VAT No: 876454384