CfC stemmed from a life altering experience in 1992, assisting with humanitarian aid amidst savage conflict in the then war torn Bosnia.
This experience turned my life upside down. A contrast being thrown from relative safety and humanity of Sussex, into the madness of war and the horror that abounds with all reason lost.
Such exposure has proved not to be an isolated incident as our support to numerous countries over the years has provided further experiences of unrest , conflict & inhumane conditions.
But amidst the backdrop of Bosnia, artic conditions, human misery and upheaval a notion for CfC was hatched. Just a notion that would become life changing was born at precisely 3am December 1992.
- The notion was simple enough. Unlike the mind-set in developing countries, in the UK and Western world we have adopted wasteful approaches to life, waste and property. We get bored, even if something works the attitude simply Bin it.
- Likewise then Millions of computers being crushed & binned every year. The notion of computer reuse was simple. Then suggest companies donate, not crush and thanks to the NHS that is how it started and continued……
- Things do not happen overnight, as with any seed it takes time to germinate and grow. But encouragement does help, as did my then six year old daughter Clare in 1992 giving her prized Tiny Tears doll to help some little girl in Bosnia. What an encouragement for her Dad to stick with it, and the concept of "CfC" crystallised.
- Beginning in the loft of our bungalow and growing into sheds, garages, barns and now dedicated workshops.
- 2009 brought a key development for the charity, finally relocating the charities workshop to accessible and improved rented facilities in the market town of Hailsham, East Sussex and now Eastbourne since Sept 2017. .
- CfC was not established to promote good works or profit balances. The standpoint remains, responding to needs of all enquirers where possible. (And not just with Computers or I.T)
"Why did you do it"
I resigned from the NHS in September 1999. Letting go of a good, well paid job including pension to provide full time input as the founder and Trustee for CfC. A position without pay or remuneration and as such has entailed major life changes.
Certainly I am not rich. I have no assets but a price was paid for this decision, who gives up a job to earn nothing? Whether home or abroad this response leaves some dumbfounded
Like many, my life has not been without spot or blemish and even today I remain far from perfection. As a committed Christian since 1976, which saved me from probably premature death whilst altered my thinking, actions and life. How do you explain Faith? Believing in something you cannot see! But that is what it is all about, and believe me the real deal Christians also foul up and get it wrong.
I can say, if you are willing and prepared to surrender all, and it's a personal choice here to become a Christian. It will take you on a unexpected life journey of finding acceptance of yourself, and peace.
As such I add, personally and as an organisation I /We do not discriminate or make judgements or criticism of others or any seeking advice or assistance.
What you see on this website represents only a sliver of a developing Vision that has thus far touched continents and lives. It comes from passion, belief, requires time, commitment, life changes and perseverance to stay the course.
It remains humbling and a privilege to have experienced the range of cultures and such diverse issues. From developing Prison workshops in the UK to experiencing the poverty and hardship faced in the African bush or slum areas of Mumbai and generally achieved without mainstream funding.
Thanks are due to the committed and varied expertise afforded by our volunteers which provide the backbone of CfC, in tandem with the continued support of Individuals and Companies through the provision of equipment, financial support and sponsorship make all you see happen.
It is thanks to readers like you that major inroads have been achieved during our history. The frustration remains of viewing global need on a daily occurrence compounded by limited resources and so much to do. If you have made it to the end, well done and thank you.
So please remember time is short! Don't waste it.. Get on
Chairman - Trustee
For more information or how to help; please call T: 01323 848588 or drop me an email: Simon